The following statistics were given during the 2011 State of the Nation Address by President Jacob Zuma:
- 400 000 – the number of additional South Africans served with a basic water supply in 2010
- 81% – the proportion of the country now electrified, compared to 63% in the year 2000
- R20-billion – tax allowances or tax breaks to be put in place to promote investment, expansion and upgrades in South Africa’s manufacturing sector
- R550-million – funds set aside for infrastructure upgrades and expansions countrywide
- 7.3-million – the number of tourists that arrived in South Africa in 2010
- 95 – the number of major international meetings and conferences that South Africa has already secured between now and 2016
- R75-billion – Eskom’s investment in new power stations, as well as the return to service and transmission of other projects
- R2.6-billion – the amount that the government will spend on water services this year
- 2.5-trillion – the value of South Africa’s mining assets – in US dollars
Information provided via Acsis financial services group.
A few days later, the Johannesburg Stock Exchange All-Share Index breached its highest level, previously set in May 2008.