I would recommend that anyone involved in ERP projects or support read Susan Cramm’s insights into why business gets frustrated with IT – Eight Things Executives Hate About IT. In summary, here they are:
- IT limits managers’ authority
- Consists of condescending techies who don’t listen
- Doesn’t understand the true needs of the business
- Proposes “deluxe” when “good enough” will do
- IT projects never end
- Is reactive rather than proactive
- Doesn’t support innovation
- IT never has good news
One of the concluding comments is:
… companies can no longer afford to waste precious resources on IT “investments” sponsored by business leaders who believe IT is not their job – or wish it weren’t.
What’s your experience in IT working with business, or vice versa?